First generation faculty can:
- Identify yourself as first-generation on the first day of classes each quarter and invite students (first generation or otherwise) who would like to learn more about your academic journey to attend office hours.
- Initiate conversations with other first-generation faculty in your department and college or school, and identify student outreach opportunities with your department or college.
- Add your profile to the directory and consider submitting your story to the #FirstGen project. Email email@example.com for more information.
All faculty can:
- Make a positive statement about the high percentage of ‘first gen’ students at UC Davis and express interest in supporting their success.
- Learn about issues confronting first generation students by reading the research.
- Familiarize yourself with support services available on campus and encourage first-generation students to make use of those services.
The Center for Educational Effectiveness has provided a Just-in-time teaching resource on Supporting First Generation University Students.