This Fall 2021 we are matching undergraduate students with grad student mentors. If you are interested in learning more about research and / or pursuing graduate school, this mentorship is for you. (This mentorship program is intended for students who have not had other opportunities for mentorship through existing programs.)
Apply by October 8!
- Proactively connect at least once a month with your mentor and commit to expectations set by the program
- Gain insight into the UC Davis first-generation experience, while expanding their social capital to learn about scholarships, internships, jobs and/or career paths
- Write up your mentorship experience for the FirstGen website
Application Process & Timeline:
Week 1-2: Mentees are matched
Week 3: Mentees reach out to mentor
Weeks 3-9: Mentors and mentees meet biweekly, 4-5 times, during the quarter.
Week 10: At the end of the quarter, we ask that all mentees and mentors complete a survey.
Mentor pairs are free to continue meeting on their own after the quarter ends, but stipends are not available after the first quarter.
- Participants will be selected based on responses to the registration questions.
- This program is for first-generation college students. UC Davis defines first-generation college students as students where neither parent/guardian attended or completed college.
- Student requirements
- There is no GPA requirement, but students must be in good academic standing.
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at UC Davis.
- Matching will be based on a combination of factors including preferences selected by mentees and overlap in interests and background identified in program registration questions.
- You will receive an email notification once you are matched to your mentor or mentee. Spots are limited and if not matched, you are encouraged to utilize the First Generation directory!
- Ready to apply? Fall quarter applications are due by October 8, 2021.