Strategies for Teaching First Gen Students
Understanding and Supporting FirstGen Students
First generation faculty can:
- Identify yourself as first-generation on the first day of classes each quarter and invite students (first generation or otherwise) who would like to learn more about your academic journey to attend office hours.
- Initiate conversations with other first-generation faculty in your department and college or school, and identify student outreach opportunities with your department or college.
- Add your profile to the directory and consider submitting your story to the #FirstGen project. Email email@example.com for more information.
All faculty can:
- Make a positive statement about the high percentage of ‘first gen’ students at UC Davis and express interest in supporting their success.
- Learn about issues confronting first generation students by reading the research.
- Familiarize yourself with support services available on campus and encourage first-generation students to make use of those services.
- Undergraduate Education Faculty Resources
- Supporting FirstGen Students in the Classroom - CEE Series
- Scholarly Articles
- PowerPoint Slide
- The First-Gen Email Signature Sticker
- FirstGen Zoom Backgrounds
UC Davis FirstGen Student Data
Press and Media
FirstGen Faculty and Student Speakers
Would you like to have a first-gen faculty member or student speak to your class, group, or event? We have a list of faculty willing to share their stories to connect with first-gen students.
To request a student presenter, email firstname.lastname@example.org .